Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Diet Books

So I recently finished reading a diet book. I think it kind of turned me off from the whole thing because it had some swearing in it. Now what self-help book comes with swearing? One thing kind of made me raise my eye brows in it. It said to just eat most things on top of a salad. For example to cut up your pizza slice and put it on top of your salad and add "as much as you want of your favorite dressing." Hunh? So if I want to have 1/2 a bottle in one sitting then it is OK? That does not make a lick of sense to me.

Oh.....I made a new discovery today. Apparently you need more then 3 hours sleep a night to function. You can do it after one night maybe but 2 in a row? Nope! I have been dragging all day, pretty much not eating too right. I am so tired that exercising is totally out of the question. I already finished a caffeine soda that did NOTHING. So tonight.......I hope I sleep!

5 comments:

  1. I'm cooking a pizza right now. I have no intention of putting it on a salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like my kind of diet!! What was the name of that book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thanks for the Post on my Blog,

    I read your the stories about weight with interest. I have typically been around 128 my entire adult life, but have fluctuated between 119 and 138. Now, I'm at a steady 124 and I'm 46. I exercise just a little bit each day (maybe 10 minutes tops), but the thing I found out that makes the real difference is eating food that your body recognizes as food and knows how to digest. Although calories are a piece of the picture, they are not the whole story. My quick bit of advice is forget the fad foods. Get rid of the low fat, low carb, stuff; it's all about marketing. Eat REAL food. Here's what I recommend you should cut out: hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils (they don't digest; its like eating plastic laden with fat), high fructose corn syrup (your body may not recognize this as food because it is so highly processed so you don't get nourished when you eat it), artificial sweeteners, artificial anything (colors, flavors, preservatives), wheat (really..it is tough to digest, you can substitute it with spelt an ancient form of wheat which is much easier to digest). You should look at some of the ancient grains, quinoa, spelt, kamut, others. Lots of vegetables, bread is fine, but really look for spelt; meat is fine, but try to go for the lower fat cuts, chicken, and fish and if you can find grass fed beef, all the better; butter is fine (in moderation), but ditch the margarine (hydrogenated oils). I don't know where you live in the country, but health food stores and even some supermarkets and of course, farmers markets, offer all of these products.

    Just as a quick example, 1 tablespoon of hydrogenated oils has the same amount of fat as 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, but the hydrogenated fat offers no nutritional value (the evoo does), and your body does not eliminate the hydrogenated oil as quickly as it does the evoo. There are lots of examples, sorry for the preachiness.

    Check out our website regarding the diet and behavior question www.speltrightbaking.com

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...that sounds like a freaky diet book to me. But I have heard that when you don't get enough sleep, it causes you to have metabolism issues. Sleep is so important and yet practically impossible with little ones.

    ReplyDelete